Thursday, October 7, 2010

Podcasting can be a Geeky Addiction

Throwing in the towelImage by spbutterworth - photographer to the feline elite via FlickrA couple years ago, I started podcasting with LucasCast.  That's been a blast, and we've managed to produce 23 episodes.  With all the insanity going on in my and my family's lives, however, I've had to throw in the towel on audio production, which I took over last December.  It takes me literally 20 hours to edit the sound on 2 hours of podcast material.  While I like to think I'm just being thorough, it's because, well, I know squat about sound editing, so I'm just plain slow.  After recording this last podcast, I started working on it, realized I felt overwhelmed by this while in the middle of recovering from my knee replacement and The Great Family Cancer Crisis, and decided it was time to pass that task on to someone else.  Fortunately, Trusty Friend acdcfanbill took the Audacity files off my hands and is now working on editing it.  It looks like most of the rest of the cast has had Attacks of Life (tm), so I suspect LucasCast is going to become one of those fun things I did for a time in life.  I guess all good things come to an end at some point.

Anyway, in the meantime, being the social butterfly talker that I am, I ended up making an occasional appearance on Outpostgamez' 'Gamers Lounge Podcast'.  When Trusty Friend N'Eligahn decided to set up GamerCatz Podcast and asked if I'd join in as a regular, minus the task of sound editing, I happily agreed.  It has quite a different flavor from LucasCast.  LucasCast, naturally, is focused more on LucasArts games.  We shared information on the games we were playing, along with some gaming information and the occasional descent to utter ridiculousness that comes from a group of people who've spent a lot of time talking to each other. 

GamerCatz is more focused on our reactions to the latest gaming news.  In our most recent cast, for instance, our 'great debate' was on the topic of 'net neutrality'.  We spend a fair amount of time on the latest MMOs, since we Catz are MMO players, but we also talk about other games as well, including even tabletop gaming.  Yes, we have our moments of laughter, there, too.  I think that might be part of the addiction--laughing with a group of fellow gamers and geeks. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great Jae! I'll definitely check your (new) podcasts out :)

I just got back from Florence, dont be envious though, I had a pretty bad time and came home with a ear and chest infection :(

stay in touch!
H aka astro

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm going to be jealous anyway!! One of my life goals is to see all the beautiful sites and artwork in Firenza!